Most consumers believe that toothpaste and hand sanitizers were always safe to use, but a chemical in those products might actually be pretty harmful.
The Problem With Too Much Triclosan
A new study has revealed that triclosan can cause massive damage to the microbiomes located in the colon. Previously, scientists have known about some potential dangers from this substance.
The findings were published in a study on May 30 in the journal Science Translational Medicine.
“These results, for the first time, suggest that triclosan could have adverse effects on gut health,” said study coauthor Guodong Zhang.
Even a small concentration of triclosan can cause a low-grade colon inflammation, which can result in the development of colitis.
For decades, triclosan was used in popular household products such as hand sanitizers, toys, furniture, toothpaste, and consumer cleaning products. The chemical is good at destroying bacteria.